Go Back   TunerFriends - tuner enthusiast community > Off Topic > Off Topic General Discussion
Reload this Page Haircuts, Import Tuning n Stuff.......
User Name
Password

New Reply

Old Haircuts, Import Tuning n Stuff.......   #1   

DriftGirl

Title: Moderator
DriftGirl's Clubs
DriftGirl's Journal
aries

profile send pm search buddy  
08-22-2005, 01:34 PM

Owning / building tuned cars is a luxury we all charish....very easy to take for granted at times. Not everyone can afford to even own a car, let alone a modified one.....

Now with that in mind,

Some people (who are members of my site) may already know this, but a little over a year ago I was sidelined with multiple surgeries....It was a Cancer scare that I made it thru. The recovery took a full year of mostly being in the bed and not much else. During that time I a chance to think about my life and how lucky I was to be 'Healthy'. I LOVE building cars and own more than my fair share of modified Imports...it meant NOTHING to me for that stretch of time.

During my many trips to the Cancer research facility in Seattle, I couldnt help but notice the people that were not as lucky as me. The side effects of the treatment (as im sure you all know) causes hair loss. Young,old, black,White,Asian,Hispanic...any/and everyone.

Ive gotten a lot of work over the years due to my hair, shot with great photographers and hairshows with sum of the top stylist in the US...... but I thought it would serve others better.

I had it cut to donate it to "locks of love" ( http://www.locksoflove.org ) A non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvataged kids, who have long term medical related hair loss.

I had this done at the start of summer here when modeling jobs really pick up. I selected this time to show my commitment to others around the world who are not as lucky as I am.

http://www.driftgirl.org/hair/shift_hair.htm
This is sumthing that I will continue to do, for as long as I can.

I just want to encourage others to help any way that they can. It's not always about money ( or which charity you decide to support ) It could jus be an hour of your time that you donate that could change someones quality of life.

This post should not be taken as a 'downer' , but in fact to celebrate life and all the great things that come with it.

OK, back to cars now

Old   #2   

03civicSI

Title: Naturally Aspirated
03civicSI's Clubs

08-22-2005, 03:49 PM

thats VERY cool!!!! My step sister did the same thing about 2 years ago. She cut off over 18" of good healthy hair. Was wierd seeing her with short hair... but the way she looks it at and I the same... ours will grow back. So, why not give something that is temporary for us to someone who isnt as fortunate...

again.. very cool driftgirl!!!

Old   #3   

Speedy

Title: Naturally Aspirated
Speedy's Clubs

08-22-2005, 04:24 PM

very cool. I'm trying to help other organizations. It's nice to know people care for others even though they never met them.

Old   #4   

MR2uned

Title: Supercharged
MR2uned's Clubs
MR2uned's Journal
pisces

08-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftGirl
Owning / building tuned cars is a luxury we all charish....very easy to take for granted at times. Not everyone can afford to even own a car, let alone a modified one.....

Now with that in mind,

Some people (who are members of my site) may already know this, but a little over a year ago I was sidelined with multiple surgeries....It was a Cancer scare that I made it thru. The recovery took a full year of mostly being in the bed and not much else. During that time I a chance to think about my life and how lucky I was to be 'Healthy'. I LOVE building cars and own more than my fair share of modified Imports...it meant NOTHING to me for that stretch of time.

During my many trips to the Cancer research facility in Seattle, I couldnt help but notice the people that were not as lucky as me. The side effects of the treatment (as im sure you all know) causes hair loss. Young,old, black,White,Asian,Hispanic...any/and everyone.

Ive gotten a lot of work over the years due to my hair, shot with great photographers and hairshows with sum of the top stylist in the US...... but I thought it would serve others better.

I had it cut to donate it to "locks of love" ( http://www.locksoflove.org ) A non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvataged kids, who have long term medical related hair loss.

I had this done at the start of summer here when modeling jobs really pick up. I selected this time to show my commitment to others around the world who are not as lucky as I am.

http://www.driftgirl.org/hair/shift_hair.htm
This is sumthing that I will continue to do, for as long as I can.

I just want to encourage others to help any way that they can. It's not always about money ( or which charity you decide to support ) It could jus be an hour of your time that you donate that could change someones quality of life.

This post should not be taken as a 'downer' , but in fact to celebrate life and all the great things that come with it.

OK, back to cars now

Wow that is really awesome! You should be very proud of yourself Emerald, I take my hat off to you...

Old   #5   

Administrator

Title: Administrator
Administrator's Clubs
Administrator's Journal
capricorn

08-22-2005, 04:38 PM

DRIFTGIRL, Thank you for everything you've done, there isnt a person in the world that would not appreciate it.
Tunerfriends is not about strictly automotive. It is a site for automotive enthusiasts to discuss whatevers on ther mind so wether it be as little as a bad lunch to something as important as helping those in need, everybody can say what they want to say.

Old Thumbs up   #6   

BIGBX1

Title: Turbocharged
BIGBX1's Clubs

08-27-2005, 08:19 PM

Glad you are still here Driftgirl!! Lost my stepmoms to cancer. Keep on doing what you love.

Old   #7   

Chkn_ltl

Title: Administrator
Chkn_ltl's Clubs
Chkn_ltl's Journal
gemini

08-27-2005, 08:39 PM

It's great that you do this for those less fortunate and hopefully encourages others to help in their own ways. My grandma has twice survived breast cancer and when now she and many others from her work compete walk or run in the Race for a Cure held every year nationwide. Helping others can be car realted too. The DSM club I'm a member of sells club decals and donates the profits to a no-kill animal shelter. A local club from my hometown is going to be hosting their third show to benefit The American Cancer Society. http://www.creativeconceptscc.com/ourshow.html

I encourage any others who are part of a car club to try to adopt a cause to raise money for.

Old   #8   

Sal

Title: In Neutral
Sal's Clubs

09-02-2005, 01:27 AM

My girlfriend almost died from cancer shes fine now, but she struggled alot. Hope eveyrthings okay dude!

Old Red face   #9   

Slyninga269

Title: Fully Built!!!
Slyninga269's Clubs
Slyninga269's Journal
sagittarius

09-02-2005, 11:04 PM

I'm touched by what you sad driftgirl. that was a good thing you did. Super cool!

Old   #10   

MaxedRpMs

Title: Banned
MaxedRpMs's Clubs
MaxedRpMs's Journal
capricorn

09-06-2005, 05:57 PM

i agree....very noble of you

New Reply

« | »