Suspension question... - TunerFriends - tuner enthusiast community

Go Back   TunerFriends - tuner enthusiast community > Automotive > Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
rotaredoM
Image hosting by Photobucket

Ruckus_227 is on a distinguished road
Suspension question...

So it's getting time to upgrade the suspension on the SRT. I've been kicking around the idea of buying the Tokico Illumas (the same as on the ACR edition) with 5 way adjustability. The car's already lowered, so I won't have to worry about springs. Of course, by doing so, I probably need new upper strut mounts.

But then I got to surfing and found BC coilovers. Asides from being the same color scheme as the car, they have 32 way adjustability and camber plates on the top. Of course, I'd have to pay extra for the rear ones, but the fronts are adjustable. I haven't really heard too much about BC, so I'm wondering about the quality and such.

I've also kicked around the idea of H&R, Tein, Eibach and a few others. Looking for some real information and feedback here. Let's see what you enthusiasts think.

Here's a link to the BC coilovers:

http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...oducts_id=1551

So keep your rev's down, sweetheart.

Last edited by Ruckus_227; 04-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Ruckus_227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Chkn_ltl's Icons

Chkn_ltl is on a distinguished road
Well, the ACR suspension is pretty good.
The BC Racing Coilovers are actually the ones I plan to get for my car next year hopefully. I have a friend down in Florida who has had them on his MINI for over a year and is very happy with them, he's tracked them several times. http://www.motoringfun.com/2007/06/1...ks-and-m7-uss/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chkn_ltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Time Attack Master

95gto is on a distinguished road
I've had good luck with my ksports and they offer some options for your car. They also offer the rear pillow ball mounts.

http://tv.yahoo.com/show/34211/news/...b86e__ER:55606

95gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
rotaredoM

What about the ride quality on both? This car is my daily driver and I want to make sure the ride can be tolerated by a 4 year old...lol

Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Time Attack Master

95gto is on a distinguished road
I dd my car and don't have an issue with the ride. The spring preload and the damper setting has a lot to do with the ride quality though, and mine are set just a little above the middle. I would say it's quite comparable to lowering springs. If it's any help most 3/s people go for the ksports because they offer a better range of ride quality than entry level teins.

I don't think a 4yr old would have much of an issue if she has been fine with springs. Just keep your damper setting lower and then turn it up a few clicks when you want the stiffer performance.

95gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
rotaredoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gto
I don't think a 4yr old would have much of an issue if she has been fine with springs. Just keep your damper setting lower and then turn it up a few clicks when you want the stiffer performance.

The only time I worry about for her ride comfort is when I get supremely b!tched at if the car bounces hard while she's trying to color in the back.

But anyone who lives in PA can tell you the roads are about as smooth as the surface of the moon, and that's when they first pave them.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supercharged

turbo_cavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Geze 32 way ajustable is crazy! i just installed some KYB 8 way adjustable shocks in the back at school today and there awsome! i dunno if KYB is a good brand or not but..... it'll be pretty sweet to stiffen up the rear at the drags..

If it was easy everybody woulda done it
YaY!!!
1/4 E.T-14.01
MPH-----100
turbo_cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
rotaredoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_cavi
Geze 32 way ajustable is crazy! i just installed some KYB 8 way adjustable shocks in the back at school today and there awsome! i dunno if KYB is a good brand or not but..... it'll be pretty sweet to stiffen up the rear at the drags..
I have KYB AGX's on my 200sx, and I love them. I couldn't find a KYB listing for the SRT4 or I would have been all over that.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Chkn_ltl's Icons

Chkn_ltl is on a distinguished road
My friend Pedro (MINI in link above) said they actually improved the ride quality some although MINIs are pretty rough riding stock) He has a young son as well, give him an email through his site (tell him I sent you) and he can give you more feedback on the BC Coilovers.

Chkn_ltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supercharged

ergonomic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus_227
I have KYB AGX's on my 200sx, and I love them. I couldn't find a KYB listing for the SRT4 or I would have been all over that.
interesting. every car i've ever been in with AGXs rode like garbage. they just don't have the high speed damping to deal with bumps properly. they're ok in the corners, but you lose traction at the slightest sign of bumps.

H&R makes some of the absolute best coilovers on the market, usually at lower prices than the rest. if they make them for your car, i'd go with those. the difference between a properly valved shock and spring coilover setup and a piecemeal shock/spring combo is dramatic.
ergonomic is offline   Reply With Quote